MOSS: Your Monthly FLOSS Magazine is celebrating the release of it’s second issue. That’s right folks – the SECOND issue!!!
A Laptop for Every Teacher Initiative is a good initiative, but it lacks direction and vision! Are we trying to replace typewriters with more expensive typewriters called computers? Or are these to help the teachers make their lesson plans? How? Using more Google, they are already doing it!
I believe we need more than that, we need full utilization of IT! We need to implement school management systems, change the culture and
start living in it. A very important key to all this is Free Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS).
We need to make use of tools like schooltools, http://www.schooltool.org/
For colleges and higher education we need to make use of tools like moodle, http://moodle.org/
And it is said ‘cheap price’, how can it be cheap when Windows 7 Ultimate cost $319, MS Office Cost $250 and a good virus scanner cost like $60. For 500 laptops this sums up to $314,500, that is like 4 million Rufiyya wasted.
And this option do NOT get infested with virus and malware, and think of the productive a laptop can get when it is free of this headaches.
We definitely need to make better choices at a hard time like this!
1. Windows troubleshooting have become a way of life… (when there is no virus to clean, life become boring & many will be unemployed!)
2. Windows boot time is just the right amount of time an average user need to start the work… (any sooner, computer will be way ahead of man!)
3. Windows cost just the right amount that we need to save every month… (if it is free we will lose the joy of saving and longing!)
4. Windows experience of slowness with time is in tune with nature… (if the computer is always as fast as the first time, we can’t handle it!)
5. Windows asking us silly dialog box questions make us superior… (Without which we will start getting phobic about its intelligence)